Real estate transactions that include fully furnished homes are not common across the board, but it does happen, especially in vacation and luxury markets.
Having seen our fair share of fully furnished home sales in Sanibel real estate, here are some considerations for buyers and sellers.
Considerations for BUYING a fully furnished home
- IT’S CONVENIENT: Naturally, it’s just easy to move into a home that’s already furnished. If it’s your second home or you’re relocating, you might not want to lug furniture along with you, and it could be a great opportunity to embrace a new look and lifestyle. If it’s a vacation home, you’re able to fly down and start enjoying your piece of paradise right away without spending time or energy to fill it.
- IT’S CUSTOM: Some homes, especially the ones with higher price tags, have spaces that are particularly well-suited to custom pieces. The previous owners may have spent a lot of time and money picking out and getting large custom items made. Often those pieces can be higher quality, and unless you have a unique vision or personal preference, it’s often worth it.
- COST / BENEFIT ANALYSIS: Price markups include the value of the items and convenience, but sometimes the quality might not be up to par, or the style might be outdated or just not your taste. Before you take the plunge, be sure the benefits outweigh the added cost and it’s worth it to you.
Considerations for SELLING a fully furnished home
- IT’S CONVENIENT: As it goes for the buyer, it can also be very convenient for sellers to leave their furniture behind. Moving can be a hassle, especially if you have custom pieces that fit the home and would be difficult to transport or fit in a different setting, so having the ability to raise your price a little and not have to spend time or money moving can really sweeten the deal.
- IT’S A SELLING FEATURE: Selling a fully furnished property can be a major selling point for some buyers. It can be the cherry on top if you’re having trouble making a sale. A turnkey vacation condo is perfect. A luxury home with high-end décor goes hand-in-hand. And when a home is beautifully decorated, people want to buy the home for that style and character.
- COST / BENEFIT ANALYSIS: Selling a fully furnished home is all about being a packaged deal. You’ll get more for the house than if you sold it empty, but you might take a cut on what the furniture is worth, especially if you’ve invested a lot of time and money into furnishing your home, you’ll almost certainly think it’s worth more than what buyers want to pay. You would likely make more off high quality furniture if you sold items separately, but you’d sell the house for a little less. Every situation is different. As the seller you need to consider what is best for you.
Interested in Sanibel real estate? Contact one of our knowledgable Sanibel realtors, search our MLS for available properties, or get in touch with our office at 239-272-2411 for general inquiries. Whether you’re buying, selling, or just looking, we’re more than happy to help you find the Sanibel realtor that’s the right fit for you.
Source: "Is Buying (Or Selling) A Turnkey Home Right For You?" - Forbes
This article is provided by John R Wood Properties, a full service Sanibel Island real estate agency with people who love where they live as much as what they do. Our Sanibel and Captiva Island realtors have local knowledge and decades of combined experience. They are passionate and dedicated to exceeding your real estate needs.
About the author: Nina Rogers is a writer, designer, and illustrator who grew up on Sanibel Island. As a Communications Content Manager for John R Wood Properties, Nina enjoys keeping people updated with the latest in local news and Sanibel real estate.